kingdom of rock brucath
Vous souhaitez réagir à ce message ? Créez un compte en quelques clics ou connectez-vous pour continuer.

kingdom of rock brucath

rock and metal

AccueilDernières imagesRechercherS'enregistrerConnexion
-46%
Le deal à ne pas rater :
Oceanic OCEAB120W Batteur électrique – Blanc
7.51 € 13.91 €
Voir le deal

JON OLIVA Solo album

AuteurMessage
brucath
Admin
brucath

JON OLIVA  Solo  album Empty
MessageSujet: JON OLIVA Solo album   JON OLIVA  Solo  album Icon_minitimeDim 2 Déc - 14:01

JON OLIVA To Issue First Ever Solo Record In Spring 2013

JON OLIVA'S PAIN drummer/producer Christopher Kinder has checked in with the following update:

"We thank you all for your patience with regards to announcing our
new recording plans. While JOP is very much intact and focused on new
music and future touring... JON OLIVA will release his first ever solo
record in early 2013.

JON OLIVA  Solo  album P17da8jnttblr15nuqa5lu71upm1

Jon has assembled a collection of ideas from the past 4-5 years and
wants the opportunity to present them as his own work. Jon will be
recording nearly all the instrument tracks and vocals himself and also
playing drums on several tracks. Once again, I have the honor of
recording the bulk of the drum tracks on the new CD, but this record
will have been created from start to finish with Jon being completely at
the helm."

Oliva himself commented: "I’ve got some weird ideas that I wanna try
and I’ve got some time to do it. I don’t want do just 'another' JOP
record. I’ve done four of those already. I wanna do something different.
I have some material that I’ve wanted to put out for a while, that I’ll
talk with the record company about, maybe putting something out
quickly, like in the next four or five months, to give me more time to
do this JOP record. I want the next JOP CD to be very special. I’ve got
some great friends from other bands that are going to be a significant
part of the next JOP release. We are going to do a killer JOP record and
then an additional bonus CD with guest stars... kind of like the
AVANTASIA
thing but not in a story line. Tobias Sammet does a
magnificent job with it, but I don’t have that much time to write a
whole story, so I’ll just have some powerhouse friends from various
bands come in and take it over the top."

Drum recordings begin at the legendary Morrisound Studios in mid
December. The record will be released via AFM in the spring of 2013.

JON OLIVA  Solo  album P17da8uo5m149t3iou9c1529uus1
Revenir en haut Aller en bas
https://kingdomofrockbruc.lebonforum.com
brucath
Admin
brucath

MessageSujet: Re: JON OLIVA Solo album   JON OLIVA  Solo  album Icon_minitimeDim 7 Avr - 19:30

JON OLIVA Completes First-Ever Solo Album

JON OLIVA'S PAIN drummer/producer Christopher Kinder has checked in with the following update:

"Good day one and all...the first (and probably last, ha-ha) JON
OLIVA
solo record is now complete. Oliva will be the first to admit that
it took one hell of a challenge writing, performing 90% of all the
tracks himself and vocals... he is exhausted for sure. It's a very
interesting and powerful offering. Diverse, emotional, and varying
styles of writing and music everywhere. A truly great accomplishment for
the mountain king indeed.

Special thanks to Tom Morris and everyone at Morrisound once again for a job well done.

I will have updates on a release date in the next few weeks. Stay tuned...hope to release a single soon."

JON OLIVA  Solo  album P17da8uo5m149t3iou9c1529uus1

As previously reported, Oliva has assembled a collection of ideas
from the past four-five years and recorded nearly all the instrument
tracks and vocals himself and also playing drums on several tracks.

The record will be released via AFM later this year.

JON OLIVA  Solo  album P17kpcp86e13ktj0c9lm4mk1mgj5
brucath
Admin
brucath

MessageSujet: Re: JON OLIVA Solo album   JON OLIVA  Solo  album Icon_minitimeDim 7 Avr - 19:31

JON OLIVA - New Solo Album To Be Released In June

JON OLIVA
of SAVATAGE and JON OLIVA'S PAIN fame is gearing up for the
release of his very first official solo album. The record will be
released via AFM Records on June 5th.

JON OLIVA  Solo  album P17kpcp86e13ktj0c9lm4mk1mgj5

Jon Oliva's Pain
drummer/producer Christopher Kinder recently checked in with the following update:

"The first (and probably last, ha-ha) Jon Oliva solo record is now
complete. Oliva will be the first to admit that it took one hell of a
challenge writing, performing 90% of all the tracks himself and
vocals... he is exhausted for sure. It's a very interesting and powerful
offering. Diverse, emotional, and varying styles of writing and music
everywhere. A truly great accomplishment for the mountain king indeed.

Special thanks to Tom Morris and everyone at Morrisound once again for a job well done."

As previously reported, Oliva has assembled a collection of ideas
from the past four-five years and recorded nearly all the instrument
tracks and vocals himself and also playing drums on several tracks.
brucath
Admin
brucath

MessageSujet: Re: JON OLIVA Solo album   JON OLIVA  Solo  album Icon_minitimeLun 20 Mai - 19:50

Jon Oliva (Savatage, Jon Oliva's Pain, Trans-Siberian Orchestra) publiera son premier véritable album solo, "Raise The Curtain", le 5 juin prochain sur le label AFM Records !

JON OLIVA  Solo  album 16901_1

Oliva - Raise The Curtain (2013)

01. Raise The Curtain
02. Soul Chaser
03. Ten Years
04. Father Time
05. I Know
06. Big Brother
07. Armageddon
08. Soldier
09. Stalker
10. The Witch
11. Can't Get Away
12. The Truth
(bonus track)
brucath
Admin
brucath

MessageSujet: Re: JON OLIVA Solo album   JON OLIVA  Solo  album Icon_minitimeLun 20 Mai - 19:51

OLIVA - Details Of First-Ever Solo Album From SAVATAGE Mastermind Jon Oliva

More than thirty years after the start of his career with SAVATAGE, and
successive projects/bands like TRANS-SIBERIAN ORCHESTRA and JON OLIVA’S
PAIN
, now legendary songwriter und performer Jon Oliva releases his
first ever solo album, titled Raise The Curtain. On June 21st in Europe
and July 2nd in North America via AFM, the master’s new piece of work
will be available as CD Digipak (first edition) and two-vinyl (gatefold,
limited to 800 copies worldwide).

The album will be released simply under the banner OLIVA and you can
expect a mixture of Jon Oliva’s early influences and the material he
wrote and recorded throughout his whole artistic career.

JON OLIVA  Solo  album P17r1kghqn166e1fdnr5g1ens7ng4

Raise The Curtain tracklisting:

'Raise The Curtain'

'Soul Chaser'

'Ten Years'

'Father Time'

'I Know'

'Big Brother'

'Armageddon'

'Soldier'

'Stalker'

'The Witch'

'Can’t Get Away'

'The Truth'
(bonus track)
brucath
Admin
brucath

MessageSujet: Re: JON OLIVA Solo album   JON OLIVA  Solo  album Icon_minitimeDim 2 Juin - 14:36

OLIVA - Father Time (2013) // official LYRIC video // AFM Records

JON OLIVA  Solo  album Mqdefault
brucath
Admin
brucath

MessageSujet: Re: JON OLIVA Solo album   JON OLIVA  Solo  album Icon_minitimeMar 11 Juin - 19:41

JON OLIVA On New Solo Album - "I'm Doing This Now, I Need A Break
From The Band Because I Don't Know What I Wanna Do About Replacing Matt
LaPorte"

More than thirty years after the start of his career with SAVATAGE, and
successive projects/bands like TRANS-SIBERIAN ORCHESTRA and JON OLIVA’S
PAIN,
now legendary songwriter and performer Jon Oliva releases his
first ever solo album, titled Raise The Curtain. On June 21st in Europe
and July 2nd in North America via AFM, the master’s new piece of work
will be available as CD Digipak (first edition) and two-vinyl (gatefold,
limited to 800 copies worldwide).

The album will be released simply under the banner OLIVA and you can
expect a mixture of Jon Oliva’s early influences and the material he
wrote and recorded throughout his whole artistic career.

JON OLIVA  Solo  album P17s4slsp3lvh1m9b11v5ppvj8g4

Metal Kaoz has issued a new interview with Jon Oliva, who talks
about his first ever solo album, the last music from his brother
(guitarist Criss Oliva), US touring plans and his upcoming autobiography
release.

You can listen to the chat at this location.

JON OLIVA  Solo  album P17r1kghqn166e1fdnr5g1ens7ng4

Raise The Curtain tracklisting:

'Raise The Curtain'

'Soul Chaser'

'Ten Years'

'Father Time'

'I Know'

'Big Brother'

'Armageddon'

'Soldier'

'Stalker'

'The Witch'

'Can’t Get Away'

'The Truth'
(bonus track)
brucath
Admin
brucath

MessageSujet: Re: JON OLIVA Solo album   JON OLIVA  Solo  album Icon_minitimeJeu 11 Juil - 19:04

JON OLIVA - Return Of The King (Welcome To The Show)

By Carl Begai

"So Jon, what's up with the SAVATAGE reunion?"

It's a question uttered in jest in this particular case, but you could argue it's in poor taste given that Savatage frontman/co-founder Jon Oliva is on the line to push one of the most important albums of his 30+ year career. He's been hearing it since launching JON OLIVA'S PAIN a decade ago instead of following up Savatage's last album, Poets And Madmen, in 2001, but Jon's no dummy. As inevitable as taxes and death, he's well prepared for the Savatage question when - not if - it comes up in interviews.

JON OLIVA  Solo  album P17v7dm250o9o1kk41aa7i1p1gki5

"Every interview I do, that's usually the first question or the last question, but I understand," says Oliva. "It's been a long time of hearing it, but that's okay because I spent most of my life in Savatage. I have fond memories of it and I love all the guys, and maybe we'll do something someday, who knows? It's just not in the cards right now because we've got so many projects lined up."

Jon's latest project is Raise The Curtain, his first official solo album released under the OLIVA moniker for reasons that will become readily apparent. It's an album that's come out of left field in that everyone was expecting a follow-up to JOP's Festival album in lieu of a Savatage reunion. Jon credits his decision to step away from JOP and go in a different direction to the passing of JOP guitarist Matt Laporte in 2011, which left him "very upset and depressed."

"Matt's death brought back a lot of bad memories; it was like Criss dying all over again," admits Jon, referring to his brother and former Savatage guitarist Criss Oliva, who was killed in a car accident in 1993. "People don't realize that I knew Matt for 20 years and he was like a brother to me. Obviously not as close as Criss was but the next best thing, and I worked with Matt for so long that he reminded me of my brother. It was crushing and I didn't know what I wanted to do."

"I started going to a friend's place - his name's Dan Fasciano - and he's a keyboard guy. He's got a really nice home studio in a big house, and he was also very close to Matt. I just started going down there and we'd just hang out and talk because he was really depressed as well. One day he asked me to listen to one of his songs and it was fucking great. I asked him what he'd been doing with the stuff and he was like, 'Oh, nothing...' At the same time I was going through my Criss tapes and I got down to the last two, and ironically they ended up being the earliest stuff that Criss and I ever wrote. This is before 'Sirens' and 'City Beneath The Surface'; it was probably the first real group of songs we ever wrote, and that's what have me the idea to do a solo album. They weren't really heavy metal songs, they were different. I decided that because Criss and I learned to play together, I really wanted to do this myself."

To recap, the "Criss tapes" are a collection of lost cassettes Jon found in a shoebox featuring hours of riffs and musical ideas the Oliva brothers recorded long before Savatage was born. The tapes have been used extensively over the last several years for the Jon Oliva's Pain catalogue.

JON OLIVA  Solo  album P17v7dm6fqcd3vfi19491cl5cq07

"I want to take care of one thing before I croak, and that's making sure everything that Criss and wrote together gets put out. This was something special to me. It's also very sad because I have no more of his music to work with."

With that, Jon takes a short trip into the past...

"The funny thing is that the songs Criss' music is on for this album - it's five songs in total - 'Father Time' is based on the second or third riff Criss ever wrote. The rest of it comes from an old song we wrote called 'Minus Love' that we did way back for a radio station album. I took the two things because they were unfinished and made one song out of them. That riff was written in 1979. That's when we were discovering VAN HALEN and the SCORPIONS. We were really into Uli Jon Roth's playing on stuff like 'Sails Of Charon' and 'Polar Nights', and I think the guitar sound on 'Father Time' sounds like Uli. It's got that little-distorted sound but not too distorted."

'The Witch' is another great song with a great story," he continues. "Criss bought his first 12 string guitar and it took us four hours to string it and get it in tune. We finally got it tuned, I turned on the cassette player, and the first riff he played was the one you hear in the song. This stuff is all his earliest work, and I had to fucking do this record."

And in spite of the fact Jon has a noteworthy inner circle of musician friends that would have been happy to step up and give him a hand, he opted to do Raise The Curtain almost entirely on his own.

"I chose to do things that way because of the musical direction. I didn't think that any of the guys I play with in JOP except for Chris (Kinder/drums, producer) would get it. Chris is an all around drummer and he can play anything. The guitars, bass and keyboards had to be played the way Criss and I play. I love the guys in JOP and they're great players, but they're shredders. And to be honest with you, I always wanted to be a lead guitar player (laughs), so this was a way to fulfill that goal. I always said that one day I was going to play lead guitar on an album, and that's what happened with this. Okay, it kind of happened with (Savatage's 1994 album) Handful Of Rain, but I only played two or three leads. Alex Skolnick (TESTAMENTt/guitars) came in and played most of them. The Oliva album was a lot like doing Handful Of Rain in that I did all the demos, I played rhythm and bass and acoustic guitars, the piano."

JON OLIVA  Solo  album P17v7dm44917ad11tvjvj1bfj80i6

"I also didn't want to have to teach people the songs," Jon says of putting his multi-instrumentalist skills to the test. "Everyone brings their own thing to a song, and these songs are very personal to me and I wanted to make sure that I kept them true to the way they were written. I must have demoed these songs a hundred times each. I spent over a year on the record. I played so many guitar solos for these songs it would make your head spin, and I eventually got things to where I wanted them. I'd never been a lead guitarist before. I had Criss Oliva, then I had Al Pitrelli and Chris Caffery and then Matt Laporte, so there was no sense in me ever thinking about writing a solo (laughs). Now, all of a sudden, it was like 'What are you going to play?' and I had to come up with melody lines and stuff. I busted my ass on this record, especially on the lead guitar stuff. Chris Kinder and Dan were both very patient with me (laughs)."

For some diehard Jon Oliva fans, Raise The Curtain features some of his best songwriting since the Savatage glory days. Stack it up against the lighter and more experimental JOP material of the last 10 years and it's fair to say - or at least some of us dare to - that the Oliva album is far superior.

"That's okay; I wrote the last two JOP records, so maybe I'm getting better (laughs). Seriously though, the JOP stuff is a different side of me. Every JOP record has had Criss Oliva music on it, so that's the same, but JOP is more of a band like Savatage was. I let the guys bring in their own interpretations of stuff, and then I'll show them what I've got. I've always given the guys the chance to do something better than what I did on a demo. Sometimes they did and sometimes they didn't. I didn't have to do that with this album except for the drums, where I came up with the parts and Chris Kinder learned them."

"I gave people a little bit of everything with Raise The Curtain, "he adds. "The song 'Soulchaser' is a lot like the stuff I've done with Savatage, and then I branch off into some other stuff for a few songs. I brought in real horn players, which was a lot of fun. And then it gets into the creepy stuff with that ALICE COOPER vibe. I gave people stuff they're accustomed to and then tried to throw them off a little bit (laughs)."

Which has resulted in high praise and kind words across the board. Almost.

"The response has been great after a week of interviews. I've only had one person that didn't get it (laughs). He was stuck on the Mountain King tour that I did last summer, and he was disappointed that I didn't use the JOP guys on the album."

JON OLIVA  Solo  album P17v7dluqcm86mi91ojatrt1s3v4
brucath
Admin
brucath

MessageSujet: Re: JON OLIVA Solo album   JON OLIVA  Solo  album Icon_minitimeMer 17 Juil - 16:24

JON OLIVA - Return Of The King (Welcome To The Show)

By Carl Begai

"So Jon, what's up with the SAVATAGE reunion?"

It's a question uttered in jest in this particular case, but you could argue it's in poor taste given that Savatage frontman/co-founder Jon Oliva is on the line to push one of the most important albums of his 30+ year career. He's been hearing it since launching JON OLIVA'S PAIN a decade ago instead of following up Savatage's last album, Poets And Madmen, in 2001, but Jon's no dummy. As inevitable as taxes and death, he's well prepared for the Savatage question when - not if - it comes up in interviews.

JON OLIVA  Solo  album P17v7dm250o9o1kk41aa7i1p1gki5

"Every interview I do, that's usually the first question or the last question, but I understand," says Oliva. "It's been a long time of hearing it, but that's okay because I spent most of my life in Savatage. I have fond memories of it and I love all the guys, and maybe we'll do something someday, who knows? It's just not in the cards right now because we've got so many projects lined up."

Jon's latest project is Raise The Curtain, his first official solo album released under the OLIVA moniker for reasons that will become readily apparent. It's an album that's come out of left field in that everyone was expecting a follow-up to JOP's Festival album in lieu of a Savatage reunion. Jon credits his decision to step away from JOP and go in a different direction to the passing of JOP guitarist Matt Laporte in 2011, which left him "very upset and depressed."

"Matt's death brought back a lot of bad memories; it was like Criss dying all over again," admits Jon, referring to his brother and former Savatage guitarist Criss Oliva, who was killed in a car accident in 1993. "People don't realize that I knew Matt for 20 years and he was like a brother to me. Obviously not as close as Criss was but the next best thing, and I worked with Matt for so long that he reminded me of my brother. It was crushing and I didn't know what I wanted to do."

"I started going to a friend's place - his name's Dan Fasciano - and he's a keyboard guy. He's got a really nice home studio in a big house, and he was also very close to Matt. I just started going down there and we'd just hang out and talk because he was really depressed as well. One day he asked me to listen to one of his songs and it was fucking great. I asked him what he'd been doing with the stuff and he was like, 'Oh, nothing...' At the same time I was going through my Criss tapes and I got down to the last two, and ironically they ended up being the earliest stuff that Criss and I ever wrote. This is before 'Sirens' and 'City Beneath The Surface'; it was probably the first real group of songs we ever wrote, and that's what have me the idea to do a solo album. They weren't really heavy metal songs, they were different. I decided that because Criss and I learned to play together, I really wanted to do this myself."

To recap, the "Criss tapes" are a collection of lost cassettes Jon found in a shoebox featuring hours of riffs and musical ideas the Oliva brothers recorded long before Savatage was born. The tapes have been used extensively over the last several years for the Jon Oliva's Pain catalogue.

JON OLIVA  Solo  album P17v7dm6fqcd3vfi19491cl5cq07

"I want to take care of one thing before I croak, and that's making sure everything that Criss and wrote together gets put out. This was something special to me. It's also very sad because I have no more of his music to work with."

With that, Jon takes a short trip into the past...

"The funny thing is that the songs Criss' music is on for this album - it's five songs in total - 'Father Time' is based on the second or third riff Criss ever wrote. The rest of it comes from an old song we wrote called 'Minus Love' that we did way back for a radio station album. I took the two things because they were unfinished and made one song out of them. That riff was written in 1979. That's when we were discovering VAN HALEN and the SCORPIONS. We were really into Uli Jon Roth's playing on stuff like 'Sails Of Charon' and 'Polar Nights', and I think the guitar sound on 'Father Time' sounds like Uli. It's got that little-distorted sound but not too distorted."

'The Witch' is another great song with a great story," he continues. "Criss bought his first 12 string guitar and it took us four hours to string it and get it in tune. We finally got it tuned, I turned on the cassette player, and the first riff he played was the one you hear in the song. This stuff is all his earliest work, and I had to fucking do this record."

And in spite of the fact Jon has a noteworthy inner circle of musician friends that would have been happy to step up and give him a hand, he opted to do Raise The Curtain almost entirely on his own.

"I chose to do things that way because of the musical direction. I didn't think that any of the guys I play with in JOP except for Chris (Kinder/drums, producer) would get it. Chris is an all around drummer and he can play anything. The guitars, bass and keyboards had to be played the way Criss and I play. I love the guys in JOP and they're great players, but they're shredders. And to be honest with you, I always wanted to be a lead guitar player (laughs), so this was a way to fulfill that goal. I always said that one day I was going to play lead guitar on an album, and that's what happened with this. Okay, it kind of happened with (Savatage's 1994 album) Handful Of Rain, but I only played two or three leads. Alex Skolnick (TESTAMENTt/guitars) came in and played most of them. The Oliva album was a lot like doing Handful Of Rain in that I did all the demos, I played rhythm and bass and acoustic guitars, the piano."

JON OLIVA  Solo  album P17v7dm44917ad11tvjvj1bfj80i6

"I also didn't want to have to teach people the songs," Jon says of putting his multi-instrumentalist skills to the test. "Everyone brings their own thing to a song, and these songs are very personal to me and I wanted to make sure that I kept them true to the way they were written. I must have demoed these songs a hundred times each. I spent over a year on the record. I played so many guitar solos for these songs it would make your head spin, and I eventually got things to where I wanted them. I'd never been a lead guitarist before. I had Criss Oliva, then I had Al Pitrelli and Chris Caffery and then Matt Laporte, so there was no sense in me ever thinking about writing a solo (laughs). Now, all of a sudden, it was like 'What are you going to play?' and I had to come up with melody lines and stuff. I busted my ass on this record, especially on the lead guitar stuff. Chris Kinder and Dan were both very patient with me (laughs)."

For some diehard Jon Oliva fans, Raise The Curtain features some of his best songwriting since the Savatage glory days. Stack it up against the lighter and more experimental JOP material of the last 10 years and it's fair to say - or at least some of us dare to - that the Oliva album is far superior.

"That's okay; I wrote the last two JOP records, so maybe I'm getting better (laughs). Seriously though, the JOP stuff is a different side of me. Every JOP record has had Criss Oliva music on it, so that's the same, but JOP is more of a band like Savatage was. I let the guys bring in their own interpretations of stuff, and then I'll show them what I've got. I've always given the guys the chance to do something better than what I did on a demo. Sometimes they did and sometimes they didn't. I didn't have to do that with this album except for the drums, where I came up with the parts and Chris Kinder learned them."

"I gave people a little bit of everything with Raise The Curtain, "he adds. "The song 'Soulchaser' is a lot like the stuff I've done with Savatage, and then I branch off into some other stuff for a few songs. I brought in real horn players, which was a lot of fun. And then it gets into the creepy stuff with that ALICE COOPER vibe. I gave people stuff they're accustomed to and then tried to throw them off a little bit (laughs)."

Which has resulted in high praise and kind words across the board. Almost.

"The response has been great after a week of interviews. I've only had one person that didn't get it (laughs). He was stuck on the Mountain King tour that I did last summer, and he was disappointed that I didn't use the JOP guys on the album."

JON OLIVA  Solo  album P17v7dluqcm86mi91ojatrt1s3v4
Contenu sponsorisé

MessageSujet: Re: JON OLIVA Solo album   JON OLIVA  Solo  album Icon_minitime

JON OLIVA Solo album
Page 1 sur 1